MIT Develops an Ingestible Sensor That Can Be Swallowed by a Patient to Monitor Their Vital Signs

ingestible sensor

A team at MIT has developed an ingestible sensor capable of being swallowed by a patient to monitor their vital signs from within. The sensor monitors specific sound waves generated by a patient’s heart rate and breathing. This solves problems present in traditional monitoring which is primarily done through contact with the skin, and could also be used for long-term monitoring outside of a medical setting.

photo via MIT News