For 18 years, from 1949 to 1967, residents of the Fort Bragg area in Mendocino County used the ocean as their dump, throwing their garbage, even automobiles over the cliffs towering what is now known as Glass Beach but was then called The Dumps. In 1967, the North Coast Water Quality Board and city officials shutdown the area and it wasn’t until 2002 that it was completely cleaned of waste and reopened as a state park. Years of pounding surf created the beautiful and colorful beach of glass that is there today. Collecting the polished glass is not allowed, as it is part of California’s MacKerricher State Park and meant to be enjoyed for generations of future visitors.
→ Help Laughing Squid grow as an independent blog through a monthly pledge of support.