Inspired by Hedi Gh‘s gorgeous Galactic Donuts, “vegan food creatrix” Sam Melbourne of So Beautifully Raw successfully recreated the constellatory confections in vegan form for her ailing boyfriend and generously posted the recipe for all to enjoy.
Vegan Galaxy Donuts?? This is as far as my procrastination took me today – making galactic treats for my sick boyfriend ????)
Simple Donut Recipe:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup raw cane sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of cinnamon
1/2 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract with seeds
1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water
1/4 cup vegan margarine (Nuttelex or Earthbalance)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 and grease a donut tray.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
3. Mix together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar and let it sit for a few minutes until it thickens.
4. In a small saucepan, melt the soy milk, vanilla, flaxseed (the egg replacer) and margarine over a low heat until the butter has just melted (Do not let it boil/simmer)
5. Combine both wet and dry ingredients until a soft dough forms.
6. Using a teaspoon, spoon the mixture evenly into the donut holes, flattening out with your finger for best results.
7. Bake for 12 minutes. They are done once they have firmed up and a toothpick comes out clean (they don’t need to ‘brown’)
8. Pop them out of the moulds and then allow to cool completely before icing.
2-3 tbsp melted coconut oil
2-3 tbsp soy milk
1 2/3 – 2 cups powdered sugar
Vegan natural food dye (Red and Blue)
1. Whisk together the melted coconut oil and soy milk and slowly begin to whisk in the powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Adjust liquids if you need to.
2. To achieve the ‘galaxy’ effect: (This is quite hard to explain, but if you’ve ever done marbling as a kid using coloured dye it is essentially the same thing)
3. Using small separate bowls I worked with a little bit of icing at a time and I simply dispersed drops of vegan friendly food dye around the white icing, swirling with a spoon. Adjust the colours/saturation as you’d like.
4. Simply dip and twirl a donut halfway into the icing and gently slide it out and you’ll get that ‘galaxy effect’ ;)
5. Dusted with vegan edible food glitter.
The original source of inspiration.