Compassionate Firefighters in Ames, Iowa Revive Family Cat Who Was Rendered Unconscious by Fire

On September 6th, Ames, Iowa firefighters responded to a neighborhood house fire and discovered that Cleo, the family cat, was rendered unconscious by black smoke in the basement. The compassionate men brought Cleo to safety and then spent over 30 minutes trying to revive the unresponsive feline with oxygen via a mask made specifically for animals. Once Cleo meowed, the crew was able to breathe a sigh of relief. Cleo is currently recovering at the Hixson-Lied Small Animal Hospital at the University of Iowa Veterinary School.

A touching moment at yesterdays house fire on Duff. The crew of Truck 3 rescued Cleo out of the basement of the house on fire, unresponsive and not breathing. The crew worked tirelessly for over 30 minutes to bring her back to life. The Ames Fire Department keeps special pet revival masks on all apparatus because we know that pets are family too! Cleo was transported to ISU Vet Med via the Ames Police Department, and the owner had encouraging words today about her recovery. Cleo has regained full neurological function, and is still being treated for respiratory issues but is expected to do well. We wish the family the best! This is a great reminder to never go back into a burning building to rescue pets or loved ones, you can be overcome with smoke making it more difficult for us to rescue everyone. Let the professionals make the rescue, we have the training and equipment to be successful

via Most Watched Today

Lori Dorn
Lori Dorn

Lori is a Laughing Squid Contributing Editor based in New York City who has been writing blog posts for over a decade. She also enjoys making jewelry, playing guitar, taking photos and mixing craft cocktails.