Burning Man is having a day-long series of events this Saturday, April 14th. They are starting with an open house from 11am to 4pm at their 3rd Street headquarters (located on the new T-Third Street Light Rail line) in celebration of Burning Man’s 2007 art theme “The Green Man”. Following the open house people will be working their way to Ocean Beach for the burn platform inauguration which starts at 7pm.
Burning Man Open House, Green House & Beach House
Three Burnerific Events in One Radically Fun Day!
Open House: Learn How To Help Create Black Rock City
Green House: Find Out How to Green the Burn and the World
Beach House: Inaugurate the New Ocean Beach Burn Platforms
Saturday April 14, 11AM to 3PM â€“ REVISED TIME
Burning Man Headquarters â€“ 1900 3rd St. @ 16th, SF
Then off to Ocean Beach for the 7PM Fire â€“ REVISED TIME
Free, of course! Leave no trace.
In celebration of this yearâ€™s theme, â€œThe Green Manâ€, our annual Burning Man Open House and Volunteer Recruitment Day will feature a major Green House theme to help you green your burn.
As in prior years, this is your chance to meet the coordinators of our City and learn how you can become one of the 3,000+ volunteers who create it. This year, weâ€™re adding a complete green fair, with eco-fashion show, alternative energy demonstrations and presentations, a trashion workshop, solar cooking, green art, and a whole lot more. Even our annual pot luck and BBQ social will be Earth-friendly. It all began at the beach, so after the event weâ€™ll all head to Ocean Beach to fire up the new burn platforms!
Plan to spend the entire day at BMHQ, because like on the playa, there will be a lot going on. Hereâ€™s just a sampling:
* How to be a green burner â€“ eco-workshops, presentations,and demonstrations on the solar powered stage plus green vehicles, eco-carnival, solar ovens, biodiesel distillation, grey water works, green art, and the Solar Death Ray 2000.
* Volunteer resource tables open â€“ meet the volunteer coordinators from over 20 departments that organize our creative chaos into our city. Ask them anything, like how their department is going green. From Greeters to Artery to DPW to Rangers to Playa Info to DMV to the Geek Squad, we fuel our city on participation. WE need YOU to be part of WE to make the dream real! Youâ€™ll never be the sameâ€¦
* Solar Stage â€“ Biofuels presentations, Green Man Puppet Performance, Inconvenient Truth Talk, the Tri-clops Monstrosity Band, and more!
* Green pot luck â€“ eat lunch Earth-friendly: BYO reusable or composting cups, plates, and utensils, along with organic food to share.
* Ongoing green demonstrations indoors and out â€“ Check out the Trashion Bee, the Friends of Black Rock, green lighting and videos, displays on how to be green, the National LNT traveling trainers â€“ even a hydrogen-fueled rocket! Bring old sheets, socks, pants, sweaters, shirts, and swatches to create a MOOP bag or playa outfit at the Bee.
* Eco-fashion show â€“ get your trashion on the stage, or be trashy playarazzi!!!
* Leave no trace at BMHQ, consider meeting at the Beach Chalet back patio for cocktails and a bite to eat, then cruise over to the 7PM burn platform inauguration @ Ocean Beach. Weâ€™ve been entrusted with this beach, so treat it like the playa. Since the Park Service is not requiring permits for this large gathering, there will be Park Rangers present. Please leave alcohol/glass behind, bring some wood, and enjoy the fire!
April 14th is a day of climate change events across the country, so don’t be a spectator â€“ become a participant! It’s a great way to meet everyone, become more connected to the Burning Man community, and preserve the planet. Why not start by leaving your car at home: BMHQ is served by the NEW SF Muni T-THIRD streetcar service, Mariposa Street stop (scheduled to open April 7th â€“ see SF Muni).
To help with green RVs, trashion, eco-performances, demonstrations, other Green House resources or staging/logistics, please contact karina(at)burningman.com.
To volunteer for the Man, sign up NOW.