Hurricane Irene, a powerful Category 3 hurricane, is threatening the East Coast of the United States. It is due to make landfall in North Carolina on Saturday, August 27 and travel up the coast through August 29.
The latest info on Hurricane Irene is being live updated on NY Times blog The Lede.
National Hurricane Info
New York City Hurricane Info
– Hurricane Irene: What You Need to Know in New York (NY Times)
– Hurricane Irene: Questions and Answers (NY Times)
– Mayor Bloomberg is shutting down NYC’s mass transit system on Saturday at noon in advance of the storm.
– The Wall Street Journal has created a list of NYC Hurricane Evacuation Centers on Foursquare.
– All five airports in the area will be closed to arriving flights as of 12pm on Saturday, August 27.
– Dan Patterson started a discussion on Google+ about what to pack in your Hurricane Go-Bag.
NASA photos and video of the massive Hurricane Irene as seen from space.